Archived Commercial Blog Posts
How To Deal With Fire At Your Place of Business
Dealing with the aftermath of a fire ideally starts before a fire outbreak occurs.
How To Deal With Fire At Your Place of Business
A fire outbreak for business has far more reaching consequences than home fire outbreaks. Multiple families are affected as their source of income becomes threatened. Customers would often experience a dip in the level of service being provided. The immediate vicinity becomes unsafe due to soot and smoke. Neighboring occupants (both businesses and non-businesses) have to spend extra to ensure its safe for them as well. The ripple effect of the fire spreads further.
Dealing with the aftermath of a fire ideally starts before a fire outbreak occurs. Proper measures should be put in place.
- A comprehensive disaster recovery plans with properly outlined steps - what to do, who to contact, and how to go get alternative processes up and running
- A fire extinguisher is a must-have, along with regular drills.
- Regularly update digital and physical copies of crucial documents.
In the aftermath of a fire, the following are vital to minimizing the downtime a business experience.
Immediately after the 911 call, call both the insurance and SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto. Both are needed to assess the financial implications and physical damage sustained. This helps to get a timeline on how soon the business can get back on its feet.
Some insurance companies expect the business to be responsible for boarding up and securing the building from the elements and potential looters. A proper fire damage and restoration company, SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto, can help with this.
Cleanup should get started as quickly as possible. Water from burst pipes, from the firefighters, from the weather, can easily do more damage. Smoke and soot not only adds to the damage, but it also makes the environment immediately dangerous to health and life.
Essential documents are first removed and stored correctly before a more thorough clean up, and storage of contents begins. Tech equipment such as laptops, printers, and storage devices that may hold valuable information is a top priority. During cleanup, experts would have to try to restore such items to their original state.
An investigation into the structural integrity of the building is also carried out. This would ensure further disaster is avoided.
It is often overwhelming to do all of these while dealing with the fire; the best option would be to call a professional team like SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto. That is where we come in at SERVPRO. We are a locally owned company with national resources and expertise and ready to assist!
Types of Commercial Restoration Projects
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto holds a high reputation in the commercial restoration business.
There are various restoration projects for commercial businesses that differ from those for homes. Different sections require different equipment and expertise to use to deal with restoration. The expertise and machinery for dealing with home restoration are quite different from that of commercial. Commercial restoration requires you to work with professionals with a high reputation. Every moment you take spending on cleaning up your property after an event is time lost when it comes to revenue and productivity. It is so important to find a professional commercial restoration team.
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto holds a high reputation in the commercial restoration business. Irrespective of the size of the business, SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto is your go-to for your commercial restoration.
- Hospitality Industry
- Property Managers
- Flood Damage
- Fire Damage
- Inclement Weather Damage
- Damage from Equipment Failure
- Damage from Vandalism
- Damage from Accidents
- Damage due to Aging of Property
At SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto, we are proud to handle smaller situations, too. Whether you own a manufacturing business, an apartment complex, or a sales warehouse and showroom, you can reach us 24/7 as we guarantee you a quick recovery.
Vandalism and Graffiti Cleanup
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto also engages in many other services, in particular vandalism and graffiti cleanup services.
SERVPRO is a recognized fire and water cleanup & restoration service company in Manteca and Modesto. SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto also engages in many other services, in particular vandalism and graffiti cleanup services for residential and commercial properties.
Non-essential businesses are closed or have less staff coming into commercial facilities right now due to the response to COVID-19. More businesses are reporting vandalism due to fewer people frequenting facilities. It is harder to keep a watch out. Discovering that your building or home has been burgled, vandalized, or defaced with graffiti that can be overwhelming for any business or homeowner.
Are you a business owner who resumed to work only to discover that someone has vandalized your building, doors, windows, or walls? We know how disheartening these scenarios could be. Let us give you better security and restore the beauty of your property by fixing any vandalism and by cleaning up the defacing graffiti or damage to your building.
Call for our service today if you are a homeowner, business owner, or tenant and let us fix any property vandalism and graffiti cleanup for you. We will be at your doorstep in a short time to help you remove spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls. We also engage in cleaning service for driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry.
Note that any vandalism, like breaking a window, can cause significant water damage and mold damage if not addressed quickly. If you are in Manteca and Modesto and need clean up services, contact SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto today on 209-823-8877 to help fix your property.
SERVPRO Offers Commercial Cleaning in Manteca and Modesto
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto is experienced in cleaning large buildings and can offer services that some cleaning services are not able to provide.
Most commercial facilities have a professional cleaning or janitorial service that they use regularly. A clean building is a healthier place and keeps your employees happy. What about the services your cleaning service does not provide? Does your cleaning service get rid of odor issues, mold issues, moisture problems, or do deep cleaning of the floors?
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto can deep clean your commercial building. Our team of professionals can clean the following:
- Air Ducts / HVAC
- Carpet & Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors & Walls
- Drapes & Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma & Crime Scene
- Vandalism & Graffiti
Not only do we handle a lot of different types of cleaning services most service providers do not but will get the job done right. SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits:
- Award-winning training
- Over 40 years’ experience in the industry
- More than 100 exclusive cleaning products
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto is experienced in cleaning up what other cleaning services may not be able to handle. Our team also has the best equipment for the job, leaving you with peace of mind with a clean facility and happy staff. Call (209) 823-8877.
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto Commercial Cleaning Services
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto handles commercial cleaning service
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto handles commercial cleaning service needs on top of mitigation and restoration services. Cleaning services include but are not limited to cleaning office upholstery, storefront window cleaning, carpet cleaning, drapes, and blind cleaning, and more. Our team has the training and equipment to keep your commercial site in tip-top shape.
SERVPRO Cleaning Services -
- Air Ducts/ HVAC– Poor indoor air quality usually comes from ventilation systems. Dust, pollen, odors, dirt, debris, and other contaminants are often spewed through the facility unless the air duct and HVAC cleaning are being done routinely.
- Biohazard / Sewage - Biological and chemical exposure can cause serious health concerns. Biohazards must be removed properly, or it can be dangerous. Some common biohazard cleanup needs could be sewage backups, blood-borne pathogens, methamphetamine labs, crime scenes, hoarding scenes, chemical spills, and more.
- Carpet / Upholstery– Carpets filter, trap dust, dirt, animal hair, and more. Carpets must be cleaned as it collects so much debris. SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto’s staff can take care of moderate and heavy solid conditions. Carpets should be professionally cleaned at least once a year. In many cases, carpets should be professionally cleaned even more than once a year.
- Drapes / Blinds– Drapes and blinds should be cleaned at least every two years, even more often at times. Not only do they need to be cleaned regularly, but they need to be cleaned properly. Drapes have a specific direction to cleaning as do blinds. Dry cleaning equipment is usually needed for drapes, and our team has the equipment needed to do this properly.
- Odor Removal– With odor removal, odors can come from both inside and outside the building. SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto’s staff has IICRC technical training and can properly remove odors without taking shortcuts to just mask the odor. Our equipment identifies and eliminates offensive odors properly.
- Vandalism / Graffiti– Our team removes spray-painted graffiti, and cleans driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry.
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto handles cleaning services to keep your property in good order and to get the doors open to your business quickly if there was a temporary closure. Contact our office if you need any mitigation, restoration, and cleaning services.
Water Damage from Sprinkler Systems in Commercial Buildings
Commercial office building equipped with a fire sprinkler system.
Fire sprinkler systems protect businesses from property loss and aide in the safety of personal. Sprinklers are a great support in fire safety, the downside is that there is quite a wet mess left behind after the sprinkler system goes off. Fire sprinkler systems will turn on as soon as a fire is detected. This is usually when the fire is its last stage and developed. Fire sprinkler systems save commercial buildings in catastrophic fire damage events. A fire sprinkler system might let out hundreds of gallons of water to stop a fire while a firefighter may use thousands of gallons. Someone must clean this up.
Water damage from a sprinkler system can affect the drywall, carpeting, equipment to run the business, data loss, and many other building materials. A mitigation and restoration service provider can mitigate and restore your water damaged belongings. SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto will arrive promptly and assess the damages. Our experienced staff will create a plan to return your property back to its original state.
Some steps expected in a commercial fire:
- Possessions to be cleared out.
- Removal of water
- Drying the area
- Complete cleanup
- Repairing the damage
As soon as the fire is put out and clearance has been given by firefighters, contacting a reputable mitigation and restoration service provider right away. Ensure that the company you contact specializes in both fire damage and water damage.
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto specializes in both fire and water damage for commercial and residential needs. Make sure you contact the service company as soon as everyone is safe and the fire department has given clearance to do so because the quicker the service provider shows up the better, as the longer it sits the more damages can be incurred.
How Does Water Damage Occur in Commercial Buildings?
Freezers in the grocery store often malfunction
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto’s staff are often asked what types of water damage can really occur at a commercial site. Until your building suffers flooding or water damage, it is not at the forefront of one’s mind. There are so many things that can happen at a commercial building. It all depends on what type of business it is regarding what type of incident can come forth.
Common sources of commercial flooding
- Pipes that burst in the kitchen, bathroom, or just on the exterior of the building
- Fire sprinkler systems after a fire
- Appliances that overflow in the kitchen
- Sink or toilet overflow in the bathroom
- Weather-related flooding
Other sources of commercial flooding
- Freezer or cooler malfunction
- Water tank break
- Ice tank thaws and breaks
- Food prep areas. Staff may leave the faucet on and unintended
- Live fish tanks break and can contaminate materials (used for live seafood or décor)
This list of potential incidents can cause devastating water losses, and you may need a professional restoration company to assist, especially if the water contaminates structural materials.
SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto specializes in commercial water damage. Our staff could come and use truck-mounted pumps and extractors to remove any standing water. Our project managers will create a personalized plan to restore any damage linked to the flooding.
There are so many variants as to what can happen should flooding arise and with those variants come different ways to solve the issue at hand. If flooding waterlogged, our team restores the surface with a thorough cleaning and then position air movers and dehumidifiers for optimal mitigation. Tile or vinyl floors usually restore easily for our staff, but if there are areas with hardwood or laminate flooring, or carpeting, our technicians use special techniques learned during IICRC training to restore these materials.
These are just a few examples of the extensive work that goes into restoring your commercial building back to its original state.
Tips to Successful Graffiti Removal
SERVPRO Graffiti and Vandalism Cleanup
According to Area Vibes, the Modesto Police Department has stated as of July 2019, ‘Stanislaus County has estimated there are at least 50 active gangs in the area. Gangs tend to mark their territory by tagging permanent structures “. In Modesto alone, reports show that crime involving property stands 59% higher than the rest of the state and 68% higher than the nation’s average. Property crimes include burglary, larceny, theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, shoplifting, and vandalism. These statistics still speak volumes. Graffiti is a concern to those living in Modesto and Manteca.
When your commercial building gets tagged with graffiti, best to hire a certified and experienced company to remove the graffiti for you.
Tips to Successful Graffiti Removal
- Pre-wet the surface when using any alkaline paint remover. Pre-wet the surface surrounding the graffiti. Do not wet the affected section if the cleaning agent is solvent-based or incompatible with water. Incorrect cleaning solutions can damage the building. It is best to seek a skilled professional to avoid any further surface damage.
- Rinse the cleaning solution used to rid your structural building of graffiti. Start at the bottom and move upward. This will prevent the cleaning agent from running downward and staining a lower contact surface.
- When temperatures range from hot to cold, the measure in which paint remover will work is slim. Climate temperature is a leading source of why removing graffiti is difficult in our local region. Modesto and Manteca have higher air temperatures. so, it requires specialists to remove graffiti. Cleaning and restoration experts have the correct tools, solutions, and training to get the job done.
- Commercial buildings can pose an issue with graffiti removal because of the variations of materials used in the build. Let it be bedding planes, density, finish, or weathering checked after treatment. There is a large likelihood the paint will still being visible after removal tactics are performed. A professional commercial cleaning and restoration team has the experience and resources to rid you of paint stains without the guesswork.
- Mortar joints behave differently than masonry units and often need different cleaning materials and methods to remove the graffiti
- After graffiti removal, test the surface to make sure cleaning solutions were removed, preventing damage to the building’s surface.
Graffiti removal can be a trial-and-error experience for you. Someone knowledgeable in masonry materials, graffiti materials, and cleaning techniques for graffiti removal should do the job to avoid surface deterioration and long hours spent on a project.
We Clean Large Businesses
A large business has had their carpets done by SERVPRO of Manteca for about 38 years. Because their offices and hallways get lots of traffic, dirt and grime can build up very quickly. So, we come in once a year with our large truck mounted steam machine and clean the carpet. The hot steamy water removes most of the grime from the carpet and is vacuumed up. Any left-over spots can be removed by using a solvent or blood and stain remover. We understand that work can’t always be halted to have your business’s carpets clean so we are willing to come clean on the weekend or to clean after work hours so your carpets can look fresh and new again. If you a large business that needs to be cleaned call SERVPRO of Manteca at 209-823-8877.
Commercial Water Damage. What do I do now?
The first step is to access the situation and make sure everyone is safe. Safety is of the utmost importance.
- Call your insurance and figure out what they will cover
- Then call SERVPRO of Manteca at 209-823-8877
- We will try to work around your customers and your employees but depending on the severity of the damage you may have to close off sections of your business so that we can safely do our work. We will try to be in and out as fast as possible because we understand that its important to have your business at full capacity.
- After our work is done your business can run just the way it was pre-damage.
That’s right that’s all to it. Congratulations you made it!
Water and Mold Tips for your Business
Protecting a business from a major fire or water damage is not something that is at the forefront of any commercial property owners mind, but knowing what to do should that situation ever arise is vital. Here is some information about the various categories of structure damages, and the safety precautions surrounding them, that every business owner should know:
- Fire Classifications and Extinguishers - A fire with a stable supply of fuel, oxygen, and heat can double in size within 60 seconds; therefore, quick action is key to preventing catastrophic damage. Fires, and their extinguishers, are categorized into 5 different classes based on fuel types. An ABC fire extinguisher is typically what most people stock within their homes and businesses as it is versatile – it can extinguish 3 out of the 5 fire groups; however, fires result from Class K type situations, which require their own specific extinguisher.
- Mold, Myths, and Facts - Bleach does not kill mold, it can even make a mold problem worse. It is effective if the growth is on a hard, solid surface, such as tile or glass, but it will not work when the surface is porous. Unfortunately, many growths occur on these materials, like drywall and wood, in our homes. Bleach does not soak into porous materials, which means it can’t reach the growth spread out through the pores, it only kills the surface. The outer surface of the affected area will appear clean, as the bleach will have whitened any stains and scrubbed away the exterior mold, but the internal mold will be quick to grow back.
- Signs of a Water Damage - While it may seem like water damages should be easy to spot, many times their signs are subtle and hard to find. Water damages, particularly when they go unnoticed for a long period of time, can cause extensive damage to the structure of homes and they encourage mold growth. Early intervention can save you time and money. These signs can include stains, peeling, and a bad odor.
If you experience any damage to your commercial property due to fire, water, or even mold call SERVPRO of Manteca at 209-823-8777 to handle all of your restoration needs.
Manteca: Business Flood Situations Are Not Just From Weather
The rain was needed, but it surprised many of them. Fortunately, weather-related floods are rare in this part of California. What is not so rare for area businesses is when the water comes in from damaged plumbing.
Commercial water damage surprises Manteca business owners every time it happens. Everyone knows that the sprinkler system is there to stop fire damage, but no one understands the damage that happens when it engages. Fortunately, SERVPRO has the experience, training, and equipment to restore an office or a kitchen back to their original state.
Sprinklers soak everything, that is what they are supposed to do to prevent the spread of fire. Paper products, like documents, cardboard storage boxes, and books quickly turn to a pulpy mush and must be thrown out. If the business owner needs to keep original contracts, we can preserve the legibility by can spreading them out on a dry surface. We use air movers to blow warm, dry air over the paper gently and while we cannot return the items to their original condition or look, we can sometimes preserve the image
The item that usually catches the most damage next is the carpet. SERVPRO technicians use extraction wands to draw out water without damaging the nape of the carpet. If there is a carpet pad, we remove and dispose of it. Pads quickly deteriorate when they become wet, and they are cheaper to replace rather than attempt to restore. Once we remove the water, crew members use the air movers again to force warm, dry air across the surface to dry it out while preventing further damage.
In a commercial kitchen, sprinklers do not usually cause much damage to the equipment. Here, our technicians concentrate on removing water from inside equipment like fryers to safely use them again. They also dry out behind and under everything to prevent mold growth and to make the room safe to walk in again.
To accomplish this, we set up fans at exits to blow the damp air out of the kitchen as we use long-handled squeegees to push water across the floor and out of the building. Once we have the majority of the water out, we set up air movers to finish drying the floors so we can return the kitchen to the owner as soon and safely as possible.
Restoring businesses to a safe, dry condition is not something you can do with a mop and a water-vac.
Manteca: If your Store Suffers a Water Damage
Whether a high-end specialty food store or your everyday grocery, the spots where you shop for the ingredients for your daily menus are always at risk for water damage. The many coolers, freezers, water and ice tanks, food prep areas, and even restrooms all have the potential to cause devastating water losses that you may need a professional restoration company to abate.
Your bulk grocery shoppers suffer if commercial water damage in Manteca causes even a brief closure. Perhaps the live fish tank breaks and sends contaminated water across the floor. Prep chefs in your deli may fail to turn off a faucet and a sink overflows and floods. A freezer malfunctions and an entire truckload of ice melts, damaging other food in the freezer and leaking out into the main customer areas. Once the source of the damage is eliminated, we move on to water removal and damage control.
We arrive with truck-mounted pumps and extractors to make short work of removing standing water. SERVPRO project managers create a personalized plan to restore damage linked to the water event. If flooring is dislodged or waterlogged, we restore the integrity of the surface with a thorough cleaning and the positioning of air movers and dehumidifiers. Tile or vinyl floor usually restore reasonably easily, but if there are areas with hardwood or laminate flooring, or carpeting, our technicians use techniques learned during IICRC training to restore the spaces.
Carpeting is dried in place with SERVPRO crew members employing our powerful wet vacuums and weighted wands that express as much moisture as possible, finishing with air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers. Hardwood and laminate flooring is treated with drying mats, pulling moisture from both the top and subfloor layers. If water is trapped beneath we may remove and prop up planks, or drill holes or remove sealants to improve evaporation and movement of water vapor out of the floors.
If a freezer or tank is involved, we evaluate it, sometimes with the assistance of other contractors, for its suitability to be placed back online. We examine for mold growth and clean up and dispose of spoiled products. At all times SERVPRO is careful to avoid the risk of electrical shock and other hazards while attending to the water damage.
Manteca: House Cleaning Hacks
House work can be the worst part of the weekend. its time consuming, tiring and sometimes straight up gross! However, we love the freshness and satisfaction that comes from having a sparkling clean house. there's nothing better right?
I've found some great hacks to make chores easier and maybe even a little fun! The best part? No harsh chemicals... you'd be surprised what you can do with vinegar, baking soda, toothpaste and even Coca Cola!
- Clean a burnt pan with vinegar, water & baking soda
Fill the pan with water and one cup of white vinegar. Bring it to a boil, turn off heat & add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Allow time to cool, then wipe the mixture out of the pan!
- Microwave is easily cleaned with vinegar
Mix part water, part vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl. you may want to include a wooden toothpick or another small piece of wood, to prevent boiling over. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Once cooled, take out the bowl and with a sponge or cloth, wipe down the inside of the microwave. No scrubbing, no chemicals, no hassle.
You can also add lemon to the mixture for a fresh, clean scent!
- Clean your sponge
Sponges can pick up a lot of bacteria, so you want to make sure you clean it frequently.
It's super easy: pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to remove the germs! Just wait a minute or two before pulling out since it'll still be hot.
You can also put your sponge in the dishwasher to get it nice and clean again.
- Clean shower scum with vinegar and dish soap.
Cleaning the bathroom is the worst! The good news is there's an easy way to remove soap scum and grime building up in the shower.
Fill a bowl with half vinegar and half dish soap. Now start scrubbing! You can also use an old sponge or toothbrush and just dip into a cup of the same solution. No harsh chemicals required.
- Clean your couch with baking soda
Baking soda can help remove odors and break up stains on the fabric. Begin by brushing off the surface of the couch, then sprinkle baking soda on the area you want to clean. Allow it sit for 20 minutes, then vacuum with attachment tool
- Use toothpaste to clean sneakers
Grab an old toothbrush and a little toothpaste to get your sneakers looking like new again!
- Make your rings sparkle with dish soap
The easiest, and safest, way to clean an engagement ring or other type of ring is to soak it in warm water and a small amount of dishwashing soap for 20 minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush to remove left over dirt, or makeup.
- Baking soda for brighter, cleaner laundry
Add a cup of baking soda in with your load and your clothes will be brighter and cleaner!
- Clean cloudy glasses with vinegar
Use a paper towel and a small amount of vinegar to get your glasses crystal clear!
- Multiple uses for dryer sheets
Even after they've been used, dryer sheets can work magic around your house. Use them to buff away water marks on bathroom and kitchen fixtures or remove that ring inside the toilet. You can even protect your baseboards from hair and dust by wiping them down with this handy dandy static eliminating sheets.
- Cola to clean oil stains off your garage floors
Pour Coca Cola onto the stained area. Work the Coke into the stain with a nylon scrub brush. Avoid using a wire brush on concrete, this will leave noticeable scratches. Allow the soda to sit on the stain an hour or two. Then hose down with some pressure and the stain is gone
Restoring your Manteca Commercial Property after Water Damage
This retirement home commercial building is one of the various commercial buildings that we have worked on in the this area.
Flooding and water damage events at Manteca commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Manteca
SERVPRO of Manteca specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.