How To Be Prepared Before Flooding Strikes in Manteca and Modesto
You don't need to live near a stream or water body before you prepare for a flood. A flood can generate long after rainfall or can happen due to inadequate drainage systems, failed levees, and dams. In Manteca and Modesto we see our fair share of flooding in the home. These floods are usually due to failed levees or even busted pipes.
Below are a few things you should consider when preparing for a flood to help save lives and on property damage
Have a disaster supply kit for emergency use during a flood.
The kit should include the following items:
- First aid kit
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
· Battery-powered radio. This is important to get useful information about the flood if it is not isolated to just your home.
- Extra batteries
- Food and drinking water sufficient for every member of your family for at least three days. Keep in an enclosed box or containers to get contaminated or destroyed by the flood.
- Wrench, spanners, or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Local maps
- Waterproof cell phones or satellite phones for emergency use.
A flood can catch you at the home, office, or on the road (in your car). It is ideal for preparing multiple supply kits for home, office, and car.
Keep important documents locked in a waterproof safe. Better to even save them electronically and have them backed up in the cloud.
It is imperative to make a family communication plan for emergencies, be it fire or flood. All family members should agree on a meeting place during an emergency. Every member of the family should practice emergency procedures and escape routes at least twice a year. Set emergency contacts that everyone (especially the kids) should be familiar with during emergencies. Identify someone outside your community where members of your family can contact or go to when separated.
Ensure your home and priorities. Ensure your home insurance policy does cover flooding that originates inside or outside your home. Choose the best insurance coverage for your home.
Ensure your insurance policy papers are safe in a waterproof box and digital to help you process your insurance after the flood.
Should you be struck by a flooding event, contact SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto at (209) 823-8877!