If Your House Floods What Do You Do?
Flood damage can be severe if not quickly attended to which is why you must know what to do when faced with this challenge. We prioritize safety first during a flood, however, if the flood is severe, don’t hesitate to call a professional restoration service company to help with the restoration process.
Here are some basic steps to take if your house is flooded:
- Remember, safety first! Ensure everyone in the home is safe and outside of the flood area as soon as possible. It is best to find a safe dry spot far from the house before you begin to think of anything else. If the flood is naturally caused, call the emergency unit for immediate evacuation.
- Once everyone is safe, try to find the source of the flooding if it is not naturally caused. Turning off the water from the source will help to stop the spread.
- Turn off the electricity, but avoid coming in contact with the water if it has contacted any socket to avoid getting electrocuted. Better still, if you cannot reach the fuse box without stepping in water, call an electrician.
- Take pictures and videos of affected areas for insurance documentation.
For the clean-up process,
- Wear appropriate clothing before stepping foot or touching the water to avoid getting in contact with contaminated water or hazardous material. Wear waders or waterproof boots.
- Remove water from the building using vacuum or a pump. Open Windows and doors to let fresh air in and circulate.
- Salvage items that are not seriously damaged. Throw away contaminated food.
- Dry out spaces out with fans and dehumidifiers. Disinfect anything that was touched by the water.
Wet spaces are a breeding ground for mold, it's very important to dry them to prevent mold spores from growing. Once a mold colony gets established it leaves a not easy to remove stain on your property. Keep the affected areas as dry as possible, Treat these areas with a strong cleaner, such as a bleach solution.
Get the help of a professional cleaning and restoration service provider to restore your home to a tastefully finished one. At SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto, where expectation meets reality, we are experts when it comes to water damage repair and restoration and we guarantee quality like you never thought possible.