Top causes of Fires in the Home
Fires in the home can be devastating, leaving you with little or nothing. It is important to always think safety first while engaging in activities in the home.
Top causes of fires in the home:
- Cooking equipment
Cooking equipment, like pots and pans, can overheat and if unattended to. Keep a close watch when cooking especially, on hotplates.
When using portable heaters, keep away from anything that could easily catch fire like furniture, curtains, laundry, and clothes.
- Smoking indoors
Cigarettes can cause a fire when in contact with apparels, furniture, or flammable liquids. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame because it can remain lit for up to an hour unknowingly. It could burst into flames if it came into contact with flammable materials, such as furniture.
- Electrical equipment
An electrical appliance, such as a toaster, can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. An overloaded power cord can cause a fire when in use.
Keep candles away from surfaces or materials that can easily catch fire. Always blow out candles before leaving a room.
- Faulty wiring
Faulty wiring can cause a fire outbreak if there is a spark or surge.
Grills are for outdoor use only. Grills that are used close to buildings, clothes, or trees can transfer heat easily, causing a fire outbreak.
- Flammable liquids
All flammable liquids like petrol, kerosene, or methylated spirits should be kept away from heat sources as they can go in flames easily.
Check and ensure all electrical wiring and buildings are earthed correctly to prevent the house from becoming a beacon of lightning which may lead to a fire outbreak.