Protecting your Home from Flooding
After a natural disaster, such as a flood or storm, it is imperative to address any water damages that occur in the home. This must be done right away. Without the proper water damage restoration services set in place, restoring your home and bringing it back to its pre-damaged condition can be difficult. Mold can set in and grow, creating horrible odors and posing major health concerns. Taking the correct steps and working with the correct restoration service company can alleviate a lot of hassle and save you money in the long run.
As a homeowner in the Manteca and Modesto area being aware of flood danger zones, knowing what to do in a flood, and understanding what steps to take after a flood is the best preparation one could do. There are options to consider in preparation for flooding due to a storm.
Here are a few tips for home flood preparation:
- Close foundation cracks with mortar, masonry caulk, or hydraulic cement. Hydraulic cement is inexpensive and expands and fills gaps.
- Invest in battery-powered sump pumps. Sump pumps allow you to pump water out of your home should your home experience flooding.
- Install sewer or septic link check valves. these allow waste to flow only one way so that sewage can’t back up into the standing water in your home.
- Move expensive belongings to a safe location. If you have expensive pieces of furniture or artwork get them to the second floor or the attic if you have this as an option.
- Ensure you have proper insurance. Many homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover cleanup or repair of flood damage.
There are many options you can consider when protecting your home and your family from flood damage, some are easier and less expensive than others. Some options require professional flood damage restoration services from an experienced and specially trained company such as SERVPRO of Manteca and Modesto. Our technicians have professional-grade equipment that can rid your home of all the standing water and dry your home back out.